Many children in Grand rapids Public schools are struggling to read at grade level. Schools of Hope reading club provides reading literacy help for 1st-3rd graders. reading club actvities include:
- Reading to students, based on grade-appropriate reading and author lists.
- Oral language activities designed to connect reading and writing to the outside world and build vocabulary.
- Writing activities that work in conjunction with reading and oral language exercises.
- “Word Works”—activities to aid students in letter recognition, sight-word vocabulary, word attack skills and reading comprehension.
- The “Hundred-Book Challenge” basic reading program
Children your regularly participate in the program and complete will improve their reading and literacy skills and move towards reading at grade level.
After-school Reading Initiative for 1st – 3rd Graders through a partnership with Heart of West Michigan United Way and Believe to Become. (operational Fall 2010)